Friday 29 August 2008

Lost in Translation

Oh god I love this film. Why has it taken me 5 years to discover it? Not only did I LOVE it, but apparently it's a hit with reviewers, since on Rotten Tomatoes it scores 95% making it the second most highly rated of my favourite films behind Citizen Kane (which, needless to say, scored 100%).

I don't have the time or energy to dissect this film as much as I would like at the moment, so I'll just post two photos that sum it all up for me (and shows Bill's acting talent perfectly):

1) He may be smiling and posing for a photo, but just look at his eyes- his heart is breaking :(. Just by raising the inside of his eyebrows slightly, he conveys this immense sadness. I never really appreciated what a great actor he is, but with the tiniest of facial expressions he manages to express something that words just can't.
2) To me, the funniest part of the film, for pure comedic timing and absurdity:

After watching Bob trying to have an impossible conversation with a frail man who doesn't speak English, we cut to Charlotte being diagnosed by a Japanese doctor who also does not speak English, then we cut back; Bob is suddenly sitting in the frail man's seat, holding this redonkulous owl, with no explanation. Perfect directing and dead-pan delivery (also, I want that owl).

Of course, I mustn't fail to mention the inaudible whisper at the end of the film, shared only between the two actors and the director. There are plenty of sites claiming to know what was said after various sound reworkings, but they are missing the point. It's open ended. What Bob says is for us to work out and differs for everyone. In this way, the film is personalised to each viewer, depending ultimately on how much we identify with either of the two characters. This is also reflected in the polarised reception of the film, dividing people into Bobs/Charlottes (who can empathise with the characters, become enthralled by the story and feel overwhelming emotion at the final hug) and... other people (who don't get it, who find the "missing dialogue" off putting, and think it's boring).

Throughout most of the film, despite their developing relationship, Bob and Charlotte behave quite asexually towards each other. They behave like best friends, soulmates, people with a deeper connection, who appear to be desparately avoiding physical intimacy despite both obviously wanting it. And it's not because they don't care for each other, but it's because they do, and the effect that would have on their marriages. For the same reason that Bob cheats on his wife with the singer, but cannot sleep with Charlotte- the singer is meaningless to him so it doesn't impact on his marriage. When they finally break that physical boundary and hug at the end... It's very powerful. For me, I see the whispered ending as an inevitable goodbye, a reluctant return to the mundane, unsatisfied, married lives that connected them in the first place. So based on that, I doubt Bob whispered anything like "leave your husband" or "see you soon" etc. It was probably more along the lines of "I had a great time", "I love you", something specific to them and their relationship; something conveying a lot of emotion associated with their connection and love, but simultaneously a farewell acknowledging it was over.

No comments: