Saturday 23 August 2008

Actor of the day: Timothy Olyphant


Apparently I'm the only one who likes Die Hard 4. I'm not a huge fan of 2 or 3 (why watch them, when you could just watch the first one again?), but 4 was great. Not only for the awesome action scenes (parcour in the cooling tower? Fire hydrant vs a helicopter?? Bruce Willis vs an F-35????) but the bad guy was half way decent. And hot ;). I recognised him as the murderer in Scream 2, but I haven't seen him in anything else... He's very different in Die Hard 4. Still a bad guy, but less annoying. In Scream 2 he was quite camp and OTT, I was quite glad when he was bumped off to be honest... In Die Hard, he's slick and scary. I IMDBed him, he's 40?!?! How did that happen? Meh, anyway, obviously ageing is doing this guy a favour. How does that work? How is it that men tend to look better with age, but women don't (exception to this rule- Marlon Brando)? Back on topic, the only other film I know he's in is Hitman, and I'm not watching that. I had the game and that was bad enough. Let me give you an idea- there are two ways to complete the game 1) painstakingly creep around unnoticed, taking people out by stealth usually with sniper rifles or 2) killing absolutely every single person in sight and earshot so that no witnesses survive. I think the film went with the latter approach... Add to that the film only scores 15% on Rotten Tomatoes... No amount of fangirly obsession will make me watch something something so crappy*. I tried to find a decent photo of the guy to put up here, but it's hard to find any, or at least any of what I'm talking about. Virtually nil stills from LFODH. I wanted to show his scary eyes though, which is what makes his character so creepy in Die Hard, and so apart from his Scream 2 days. So this photo is a publicity shot for Hitman. See the scary eyes? Eeep.

*Unless it involves Ed Norton, Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Ryan Reynolds or Brad Pitt. But of course, nothing they are in would ever score that low.


No comments: